Thursday, July 4, 2013

happy independence day

Ah, the 4th of July! A good day to kick back with a cold drink by the pool, to relax with friends and family, and to anticipate the fireworks that will bring this perfect midsummer day to an end.

www.marshwalk.com

The 4th of July--a hard earned celebration of our nation's journey to freedom.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to risk everything--everything!--to escape religious and political repression. To venture off into the unknown never to return again. To put your family at risk.

Would we have survived the voyage?


www.stufffromthelab.wordpress.com
 
That first winter?


www.coursesite.uhcl.edu

Would we have succumbed to disease? To starvation? Would my children have survived?

Would I have been willing to fight for it?

www.americanpowderhorns.com
To die for it? Because that's what has taken throughout our history...again and again...to win this pleasant, easy-going holiday for us.

If I had lived back then, would I have taken the risk? Would you?
*
www.pamelakinney.blogspot.com


 jan



 
 

2 comments:

  1. Happyt 4th of July to you....we owe so much to our forfathers (and mothers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ask myself those very questions. Would I have fought and risked my children.

    ReplyDelete