Thursday, April 19, 2012

r is for revision

Just about this time last year I handed my husband a short (half page or so) list of home repairs that needed attention, most of them having to do with leaks and drafts and worn out parts. He said, "Call the contractor...and while you're at it, tell him we need the house re-insulated, we need new siding, and the septic system needs to be up-graded." Not that I know anything at all about insulation, siding, or septic systems but, long story short, the list of necessary repairs and touch-ups ended up three pages longer and it cost tens-of-thousands of dollars more than what we had expected.


The problem with the house is that it wasn't built well to begin with so that in addition to a few cosmetic touch-ups, the entire infrastructure needed REVISION. Wait--REVISION? Where have I heard that word before?

This year I learned alot about siding and shingling and tiling, about insulation and wiring and pipes. About termites and carpenter ants.


I've learned that remodeling a house has alot in common with REVISING a WIP:



--If you don't take the time and make the effort to do it right the first time around, you may have to begin all over again when you go back to fix it up.
--The closer you look at it, the more you'll find that needs correcting.
--One problem always leads to another.
--You may have to dismantle everything before you can begin to rebuild.
--You may have to put the rest of your life on hold for awhile.
--The finished product will be worth it!

I estimate it will be a couple of weeks until the repairs on the house will be finished. Then I need to get to work on my novel.

www.italy rebuilt.eu

Trust me...I'll be very thankful when this REVISION is finished!
*
"Discontent and disorder are
signs of energy and hope, not of despair."
--Dame Cicely Veronica Wedgwood--
*
In my next post, I'll tell you about my favorite STORY of all time.
jan

2 comments:

  1. hi Jan,

    I really enjoyed both your Q and R posts and had to add your blog to my A.D.'s FAV 5 of the A to Z Challenge today!
    http://adduling.wordpress.com/

    HAve a wonderful Friday!
    A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the words of encouragement.I enjoyed reading back through your blog today, too.

    ReplyDelete