Monday, April 9, 2012

h is for hope

When I took the plunge and announced my intention to retire from medical practice at a fairly early age, people were shocked...disappointed...envious. I imagine that some of my colleagues saw me as a deserter, a slacker, a failure. Many of my patients felt abandonned and anxious about finding a new medical provider. Some may have been concerned about the state of my health, my marriage, my mind.


It was as though everyone had a stake in my decision...but it was up to me to act. I agonized over the decision for three years before I let go of everything that was secure and familiar to me in order to "begin again." And you can, too.

If you ache with an unfulfilled desire to write or paint or sing or act...whatever art you would love to pursue...remember these four words:
Humility
Optimism
Passion
Effort
There is a glimmer of HOPE!


The definition of humility is allowing total strangers to critique your first fumbling attempts--those opening paragraphs, that early sketch, the simple melody.

Optimism insists that you can do this! I'm forever telling myself, "I can make this better. It'll come to me. Today is the day!"

Passion demands that you try. It won't be denied. It is the irresistible yearning and energy and motivation that drive you forward. No matter what.

And effort delivers the final product. It is a measure of your determination and a reflection of your commitment.

As a beginner, HOPE is right up there with wishful thinking, blind faith, and cherished illusions. Forget the safe, secure grind you've been trained to believe in. Trust your soul on this one.

Would you like to begin again? What is holding you back? Do you have any HOPE for yourself?
*
"The way to find your true self
is by recklessness and freedom."
--Brenda Ueland--
*
In my next post I'll tell you where ideas come from.
jan



4 comments:

  1. I'm retiring next year and the students I've told are already trying to convince me stay until they graduate. They can lay a guilt trip on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thirty years is long enough! How is your novel coming? What is it about? When will we get the chance to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I took early retirement and it was the best decision I ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humility, Optimism, Passion, Effort
    Great advice! So true!

    ReplyDelete